Friday 16 November 2012

Conventions Homework


1. Which were the most influential conventions for you? How did your study of them affect your decisions and outcomes?

When making my music magazine for AS, I was following an Indie style genre. I looked at existing magazines such as NME and Q a lot to get inspiration and ideas to make my own. With my theme in mind I was looking out for things such as colours used, font style and size, and the overall house style of the magazines. Both of the magazines had a large title at the top of the page that always stayed the same, I decided that my magazine would have the same so it stands out and people would be able to tell straight away what it is.
I decided to keep the colours of the written parts of the double page spread the same, this made it easier to read. I chose the colours carefully and so it would suit my theme of magazine, I used a burgundy colour as the interview was with girls and I thought the colour fitted well with an indie image.
I also put adverts in my magazine, in NME they had an advert on the contents page, I thought this worked well as its the first page you see so I decided to put a subscription advert on my contents page.
After not doing very much of this for my preliminary task I could tell the difference. The final look of my magazine looked far better than the practise one. After studying existing magazines I had a much better outlook and higher knowledge of what to put in mine.

2. Did you subvert any conventions that you studied in the music magazines?

Not really, I did play about with a few things like the heading of the magazine; I moved it around the page a bit but ended up keeping it at the top as I thought this worked best. Everything else that was in my magazine I kept similar to already existing magazines like NME. Due to lack of creation I didn't explore too much with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment